Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wicked Awesome Poem Wednesday



I Fished a Place


I fished a place like no other place
You'll ever find on Earth.
A place where the hard work and danger
Can, and should, reflect a man's worth.

I fished a place where the hours are long;
Sleep, rare, if at all.
A place where even the strong
Sometimes stumble and fall.

I fished a place where you spend countless hours
Pulling countless pots.
A place where the memory of her back home
Is thought with countless thoughts.

I fished a place where the weather can turn
Bad in the blink of an eye.
A place where are those who'll get hurt,
And some will even die.

I love this place
And the pride it's given me. You see,
Very few people on the face of this Earth can say,
"I've fished the Bering Sea."


-Larry Ryser

2 comments:

Chuckles8 said...

I just watched the episode with Ryser's poem, and jumped online to see if I could find it. Thanks so much for taking the time to post it!
Great poem, and a fitting end to the season.

PS: check the last few stanzas, ... there's a word missing, I think.

la isla d'lisa said...

Welcome, welcome! I tried to get it exactly as Larry recited it, but my hearing ain't what it used to be and I may have erred ... but the gist is there, so no worries!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin