Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Wicked Awesome Poem Wednesday



Good King Wenceslas

Good King Wenceslas looked out, on the feast of Stephen,
When the snow lay round about,
deep and crisp and even;
Brightly shone the moon that night, though the frost was cruel,
When a poor man came in sight,
gathering winter fuel.

"Hither, page, and stand by me, if thou know'st it, telling:
Yonder peasant, who is he?
Where and what his dwelling?"
"Sire, he lives a good league hence, underneath the mountain;
Right against the forest fence,
by Saint Agnes' fountain."

"Bring me flesh and bring me wine, bring me pine logs hither;
Thou and I will see him dine,
when we bear them thither."
Page and monarch, forth they went, forth they went together,
Through the rude wind's wild lament
and the bitter weather.

"Sire, the night is darker now and the wind blows stronger;
Fails my heart, I know not how;
I can go no longer."
"Mark my footsteps, my good page, tread thou in them boldly.
Thou shalt find the winter's rage
freeze thy blood less coldly."

In his master's steps he trod, where the snow lay dinted;
Heat was in the very sod
which the Saint had printed
Therefore, Christian men, be sure: wealth or rank possessing-
Ye who now will bless the poor
shall yourselves find blessing.

-John Mason Neale

2 comments:

The Common Man said...

WTF does this mean?

la isla d'lisa said...

Oh my goodness ... READ A BOOK! Or, you know, GOOGLE IT!
Ya big jalook. Merry Christmas Eve!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin