Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wicked Awesome Poem Wednesday


Sea Fever

I must down to the seas again,
to the lonely sea and the sky
and all I ask is a tall ship,
and a star to steer her by;

And the wheel's kick and the wind's song
and the white sails shaking,
And the grey mist in the sea's face,
and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again,
for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call
that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day
with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume,
and the seagulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again,
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way
where the wind's like a whetted knife

And all I ask is a merry yarn
From a laughing fellow rover,
and quiet sleep and a sweet dream
when ere the long trip's over

-John Masefield

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin