Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Memory Lane Sure is Long ...

Today Mom and I took a day trip off-island so I could meet my cousins’ new (to me) sons. It was a little bit of a trip down memory lane as well: we stopped by my grandparent’s former home, which my Grampa built almost 40 years ago.

Then we drove through the neighborhood I lived in as a very young child, in the home my parents bought brand-new … I still remember going to visit our new home as a three-year-old while it was under construction, and running through the ribs of the insides before the drywall was up.
It was interesting to see what the current owners have done with each (painting, landscaping, upgrades, and improvements), but I still prefer both the way they were … I think that’s a sign either I’m getting old or really don’t like change … or both!

But before we did that, we stopped at Dunkin Donuts for regular coffees and bagels. I love Dunkin Donuts coffee … it’s just about the best in the world, and we don’t have it in my faraway midwest digs (although a colleague at work insists there’s got to be one somewhere in KC, I’ve yet to find it!).

Then we got to my Aunt’s and I got to meet the babies for the first time in person, cousins who are only 6 months apart in age, yet completely different. What an absolute blast the afternoon was! At one point my Mom and Aunt left to get us all lunch from D’Angelos, and our franchise dream was born:
My cousin Melissa and I will open a joint Dunkin Donuts/D’Angelos in Kansas City! We’ll be RICH!! How could we possibly not succeed! D’Angelos has the rockingest grinders this side of gustatorial nirvana, and there ain’t nuthin’ that can rival double D’s coffee. I’m hankering for a cheeseburger grinder and a frozen latte already!
My vacation continues to be just plain perfect.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin