I just did the math and discovered that I read 47 new (to me) books in 2009. That’s a little bit less than one a week. I also re-read quite a few of not only those 47, but others in my fairly extensive library. I like to read. If I’m not sleeping, working, or watching the boob tube, then I’m reading.
Sometimes I read and watch television at the same time … since this invariably leads to my having to rewind the DVR to see what I've missed, I’m fairly comfortable in my assessment that I like reading just a wee bit more than television.
I’ve gotten into this whole new genre (for me) this year, which is the urban fantasy … you know, with vampires and werewolves and mages and whatnot. It’s all because of Jim Butcher and that fantastic Harry Dresden. I fricken love Dresden.
And I never knew the books even existed until I watched the Dresden Files on Sci-Fi … I think it was Sci-Fi … doesn’t matter, they cancelled it almost immediately. But not before I learned the series was based on books. Books, people! Books!!! I love books!
So I picked up the first one. And devoured it. And haven’t looked back since. And of course, how much in geek nirvana was I to learn that Butcher is a local? He lives not two towns over in Independence. BOO YAH! There’s a chance, albeit it teensy-tiny, that I’ve been in his general vicinity!
So anyway, while waiting for Butcher’s next installment, I picked up similar books from other ‘urban’ series and now I have a whole slew of new favorite series authors to add to my ‘old’ list of favorite series authors. So, here are my revised series author recommendations to you, the avid reader … in no particular order:
- John Sandford’s Lucas Davenport ‘Prey’ series and the ‘Kidd & LuEllen’ novels.
- James Lee Burke’s Dave Robicheaux series.
- Brian Haig’s Sean Drummond novels.
- Jim Butcher’s Harry Dresden series.
- Tony Hillerman’s Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee novels.
- Mike McGarrity’s Kevin Kearney series.
- Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series.
- Rick Riordan’s Tres Navarre novels.
- Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series.
- Dennis Lehane’s Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro series.
- C.J. Box’s Joe Pickett series.
- Robert Crais’ Elvis Cole and Joe Pike novels
- Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.
- David Drakes’ Crown of the Isles series.
- Greg Rucka’s Atticus Kodiak novels.
- Dan Simmons’ Joe Kurtz and the Hyperion novels.
- John Lescroart’s Dismas Hardy series.
- Michael Koryta’s Lincoln Perry series.
- Steve Hamilton’s Alex McKnight series.
- Rachel Caine’s Cassiel books.
- Rob Thurman’s Cal & Niko Leandros novels.
- Mark Del Franco’s Connor Grey series.
- John Levitt’s Mason & Lou series.
- Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter International (MHI) series.
- Jeri Smith-Ready’s Ciara Griffin series.
- Kat Richardson’s Harper Blaine series.
- Jennifer Rardin’s Jaz Parks series.