Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Weekly Idol: Top 3, Rock Week

Let me start by admitting that I am completely out of sorts with American Idol tonight … my Matty’s gone! AI voters SUH-HUCK! I knew I should have voted this season. And I don’t care what you say, Simon was a complete prick this evening.

Although I’m all for the duets (awesome!), and think they should incorporated in future seasons far sooner in the competition, my thoughts are that if the judges are going to render opinions, they need to be well thought out opinions rather than off-the-cuff ramblings (I know it seems as though Paula is always rambling, but she’s really not … that is one knowledgeable insider, who just doesn’t like to say anything especially mean) … because off-the-cuff is just plain wrong and the contestants deserve more, especially this late in the game.

So where did the judges go wrong, you ask? Well, here are a couple things I noticed:

  1. Multiple performers are far different from single performers, and it all has to do with the … wait for it … harmony. Any fool not hard of hearing can generally tell if two singers are in harmony, but what I expect from music professionals is the basic knowledge that when one performer is clearly stronger than the other, it isn’t actually the stronger of the two who is doing the better job. No. Rather it’s the other, so-called weaker performer, who often happens to be carrying the weight of the harmony while making the stronger look good by virtue of terrific, spot-on, synchronization. Duh.
  2. It is wrong to tell one performer s/he is better than the other in a duet when they still have to perform alone … WTF, are you purposely cruel or just plain stupid? Especially if their individual performance is the one on which s/he will actually be scored by the public. Horses asses. I mean really!

On to how the individual performances stacked up for me (got a little of my bitter out):

Danny Gokey (Dream On) – 9 out of 10. Love it! Once again had to restrain myself from jumping up and singing/bouncing along. Yes, that’s due to the song choice, but also Danny’s sweet, sweet vocals. Then the sound cut out on my telly! What!?! Nooooooo! SUCKAGE! But it quickly cut back in. Phew! The only thing that kept this from being an absolute 10 was that Danny did seem uncomfortable gearing up for the end of the song (who wouldn’t, though, huh?). Otherwise, perfection. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Kris Allen (Come Together) – 9 out of 10. Loved it! This could have been a complete train wreck, but once again Kris pulled it off and gave it that Allen spin. This kid deserves to win because he’s the total package. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Adam Lambert (Whole Lotta Love) – 7 out of 10. I really expected so much more from Adam this week, but this was totally unoriginal. Yes, it was a terrific job, but I didn’t notice a single instance where Adam put his stamp on it. That said, he completely kicked its ass!

Allison Iraheta (Cry Baby) – 4 out of 10. Oh please, America, vote this child off already! I love this song, and I understand why folk think Janis Joplin is the one for Allison to emulate, but the child is not yet capable of emoting, and until she’s either lived a little or got some seasoning, she’s still just a teen with awesome pipes singing the classics.

The Duets:

Kris & Danny (Renegade) – 10 out of 10. Just. Plain. Awesome. I hope it’s for sale on iTunes, because I want it. The guys can harmonize like they’ve been singing together forever. Very complimentary styles, and when Danny did run away with it a little, Kris was right there with the harmony, making it look far easier than it really was.

Adam & Allison (Low Rider) – 5 out of 10. Really didn’t do it for me, and I cannot understand why the judges were so in love with it. In the first place, it was an awful song choice! All I have to say is the performances must reeeeeally sound different live.

I want Allison to drop off tomorrow. I’m still thinking it will be Adam and Kris in the final, but I still want Danny and Kris at the end. But really, who am I kidding? I’ll bet most of the top 6 get recording contracts somewhere when this is over. Most of the guys and Lil deserve it (and Allison may in a few years).

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin