Today my bird feeders were wildly popular, but none of my pictures came out because the flash just bounced back from the screen (I was inside, birdies were outside) to make it look like it was night out. I filled all five "regular" feeders last night, and by noon today four were half empty.
By the way, this most awesome picture was painted by Jessie when she was in the First Grade. First Grade. Now, I may be a tad biased here, but that picture? Is incredible. I have it framed in my living room.
First Grade. Tcha!
In any case, here are the little greedy guts who came to visit today:
- Male Cardinal ... very, very bright red/orange, so young.
- Female Cardinals ... there were two, I'm thinking from last year's laying.
- Blue Jay ... must be a youngling, because he wasn't all that big.
- Robin Red Breast ... not eating from the feeder, but rather hopping around the yard.
- House Sparrows ... seemed like there were a couple dozen everyhere!
- Mourning Doves ... five of them! All around the base of the big feeder. I love the sound they make when they take flight.
- Grackles ... these guys come by every day. They're pretty big, and certainly are no songbirds, but they're still fun to watch, because it's hard for them to stick to the feeders so they're forever falling off. You'd think they'd just stick to the ground ... there's plenty of seed down there!
I'll have to head outside tomorrow afternoon to lay in wait for some "real" pictures ... maybe I'll hide in the rose bushes!