Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Weekly Idol: Top 2, Songs They & the Judges Choose

This is a fun week … we get to see where the judges think the talents lie, and we get to see where the remaining idolettes see their talents. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens. Will Adam be bumped because voters assume he’ll get more than enough votes? Will Danny beat out Kris? Will Kris beat Danny? Will there be a three-way tie (and what happens then?)?

I’m pretty sure it’s no surprise that I want Kris and Danny to be in the finale, but since Matt’s been gone I really don’t care who wins, although I’m likewise absolutely sure all three of these guys are going on to pretty significant, if not amazing, careers in the industry.

I’ve said often enough that I want to see Adam front a kick-ass band like Aerosmith or Queen; well, I’d like to see Kris and Danny in solo careers … Kris along the lines of pop musicians like (Sweet Baby) James Taylor, and Danny (as well as my Matty) along the lines of bluesy soul musicians like Otis Redding. It will be fun to see in which directions they go.

So, tonight … quite a mixed bag on song choices: Kris and Danny chose far better for themselves than the judges did … Simon chose better for Adam than he did for himself. Here’s how they shook out for me:

Danny Gokey (You Are So Beautiful) – 11 out of 10. Perfection. One of my all-time favorite songs, and Danny was absolute perfection. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Kris Allen (Heartless) – 10 out of 10. Never heard the song before, but really like that Kris did it acoustically … fantastic. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Adam Lambert (One) – 10 out of 10. You know, I’ve heard about this song, but never actually heard it … LIE! It’s just too bad the song is simply overpowering to Adam’s limited skill set … NOT! Very pretty and restrained, then ratcheted up to shidamn, that kid can sing! Made me want to hear Adam’s full-length version. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Danny Gokey (Dance Little Sister) – 9 out of 10. Good song for Danny’s vocals. I love that he threw the sax in, and Danny’s vocals, as usual, like buttah. Nice to see him move away from the ballads a bit and have some fun, and I’m all for Danny’s awkward dancing! I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Kris Allen (Too Late to Apologize) – 9 out of 10. Love, love, love this song ever since OneRepublic performed it on AI last season. Kris totally has the range for this puppy, and did what I love most about him … he put that Allen stamp on it. Yay! Nice job, and when his voice cracked just that little bit, it fit right into the lyrics. Sweet vocals. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Adam Lambert (Crying) – 7 out of 10. Nope, didn’t do it for me. Steven Tyler is so iconic that Adam would have had to make major changes to the arrangement and vocals to have gotten Aerosmith out of my mind. As it was, it seemed like a screeching, yowling hot mess of a train wreck. Poor Adam – there’s something about his voice or vocal range that can get to me like fingernails on a chalkboard … to such an extent that when I don’t like what he does, I really don’t like it. This one felt particularly overwrought. Then the judges all jump onboard the Adam train and I wonder what the hell I missed? Sheesh.

Okay, so I want all three to keep going on, but since I have to pick two, I choose Danny and Kris to move forward. It’s not that I’m voting Adam off the island, I’m just voting Danny and Kris on.

Tomorrow is going to be so exciting! This is even better than last year (when my music love David Cook was on), but that’s because I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt David was going to win it all … this year I just don’t know. Although I’d be right on the Matt bandwagon if he were still in it.

Sigh. I miss Matt Giroud.

Sigh. Sigh. I hope Matt has an amazing career, too.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin