Thursday, April 2, 2009

Weekly Idol: Top 9, Top iTunes Downloads

Ho boy, what an almost completely awful week! Some really, really, poor song choices this week. But that's kind of to be expected ... these kids (for the most part) are just starting out.

Here's how they hit me:

Kris Allen (Ain’t No Sunshine) - 10 out of 10. One of my all-time favorite songs, sung beautifully ... those little chipmunk faces he makes! And who knew Kris could tickle the ivories? Cutie-patootie! I'll buy it off iTunes.

Adam Lambert (Play That Funky Music) - 10 out of 10. Just plain terrific. It's almost not fair Adam's in this competition. I'll buy it off iTunes.

Danny Gokey (What Hurts the Most) - 9 out of 10. Mom's visiting (one reason I've not been 'putering much) and laughed out loud at me when she saw how crazy I am for Danny. As soon as he opens his mouth I get all melty inside. I was iffy when I heard his song choice ... I think it's very nearly impossible to sing a Rascal Flatts song, but Danny pulled it off. I'll buy it off iTunes.

Scott McIntyre (Just the Way You Are) - 9 out of 10. Scott did what I've been waiting for and gave me a little peek at his soul. Loved it! I'll buy it off iTunes.

Anoop Desai (Caught Up) - 8 out of 10. I've never heard the song, so am basing this solely on Anoop's performance, and I liked it. He got a bit pitchy, and I'm sure I'm dropping him points because I had no frame of reference, but I still love his vocals and his showmanship.

Allison Iraheta (Don’t Speak) - 8 out of 10. This is my favorite performance of Allison's. I really liked what she did with it, and totally "got" her outrageous getup.

Matt Giroud (You Found Me) - 7 out of 10. I like me some Fray, but never would have picked this song for Matt (I'd love to hear his take on James Morrison's "Wonderful World"). This was not up to Matt's standard, but did get better as it went along. Started out very, very pitchy, though.

Lil Rounds (I Surrender) - 6 out of 10. I want to like Lil ... I love her voice, but she's been boring. Celine definitely had her heyday, but she's been out of the picture for what, like a decade? Which is a hundred years in pop-culture-land. Poor song choice. Too bad, really, because Lil did a decent job of it, but Celine is kind of the only one who can sing Celine, if you see my point.

Megan Joy (Turn Your Lights Down Low) - 4 out of 10. Just plain awful. Crap. I've gone off Megan completely. She destroyed the song (and not in a good way). Just a bad choice for her warbly style.

Now, I taped the show so ended up watching the performances last night, right before the vote-off, so I was on tenterhooks when Ryan messed with Matt (bad Ryan, bad, bad Ryan!) ... then got to breathe a hefty sigh of relief. Totally loved the byplay among the group, very fun and refreshing. I'm now wishing we saw more of their "downtime".

Anyway, what was the deal with Megan's shenanigans last night? Someone close needed to tell her what a horses ass she was making of herself. Too bad, really, that viewers have that behavior as a final impression. Does she realize she made a mockery of her experience on AI?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin