Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Weekly Idol: Top 7, Songs of the Cinema

I have no earthly idea where my head was tonight. Totally forgot AI (thank goodness for DVR!) ... Mom called around half past to see what I thought so far, and there I was, screwing around on iTunes (finally splurged on Coltrane and some John Lee Hooker ... so not a waste of time).

So I grabbed a pen and some paper and ran out to the living room to critique my AI crew. I've noticed that the television in the bedroom has much better sound, being hooked up to a stereo and all, but I just can't bring myself to climb into bed at 7pm ... ever ... to watch telly! So I watch first blush on the big screen with crappy sound, then later in the week on the little screen with stereo sound. I'm still heavily attached to Matt and Danny, so I guess it doesn't matter after all, huh?

Kris Allen (Falling Slowly) – 10 out of 10. I don’t even know this song, never heard it before, and I know Kris kicked its ass! Wow! This was truly lovely. The best of the night (I’m starting to think the final two may be Kris and Adam). I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Matt Giroud (Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman) – 9 out of 10. Meh … just okay. Hah! Who am I kidding … Matt slayed it! If I was there I’d have been yelling, “I love you, Matty!!!” Unlike Adam’s performance before him, Matt’s vocals didn’t run away from the harmony of his backup singers. Yummy. I’ll buy it off iTunes. SAVED!!! My Matty was SAVED!!! C'MON America! Get your vote on! Why you not voting for Matty? Hunh? He's loads better than Lil and Allison for crying out loud! And Anoop, even. People, you sorely disappoint me.

Anoop Desai (Everything I Do, I Do it for You) – 9 out of 10. So pretty! I thought, “is it a little slow?” But no! Anoop pulled it off! Blasted those vocals exactly where he should have and reigned it in precisely where it mattered. Very, very, nice. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Danny Gokey (Endless Love) – 9 out of 10. Hmm, do I even need to say it? Really? Does anyone not know how I love me some Danny? Perfection. The rest of you can suck it (not the performers, but rather the Danny nay-sayers, silly)! I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Adam Lambert (Born to be Wild) – 9 out of 10. Helluva show; not a terrific job on the actual song, though. Kind of like when you’re disappointed at a concert because it isn’t the same as the record. KIDDING!!! Sheesh, you people are tuff! He was effing ridiculous, is what he was; as usual lately. I’m pretty sure Adam will be at least in the final two, but I actually like Danny, Matt, and Kris better.

Allison Iraheta (I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing) – 8 out of 10. Poor Allison. My problem? I kept comparing it to David Cook’s rendition from last season (you may recall my love for David), which was leagues better than this performance. It was pretty good, though. She’s a rockin’ little thing, isn’t she? It’s rotten to have go first, when the rest of the field is this good, but somebody has to do it.

Lil Rounds (The Rose) – 4 out of 10. Wow. Craptastic. Man, I feel bad for Lil. This was awful, and she has such a lovely voice. She was all over the place vocally, and just didn’t do it for me to-ooh-oh-ah-ah-night!

Personal opinion: it’s time for Lil to go home. That being said, I’m at the point now where I can’t tell who’ll be leaving. I should probably start actually voting now, huh?

On a completely different matter: Quentin Tarentino effing rocks as a coach!!! More QT, American Idol, MORE!! This guy is no slouch at all, and I had pretty high expectations because I love the music he puts together for the soundtracks to his films (True Romance is a fave ... give it a whirl!).

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin