Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Weekly Idol: Top 8, Songs From the Year They Were Born

I’m back! I know you missed me horribly, but Mom was here, and I had such a great time with her … I love company!

Anyway, Tonight’s performances were leagues better than last week, no? So here’s how I rated them:

Matt Giroud ’85 (Part Time Lover) – 10 out of 10. Matt’s baaaack! Yay!! I had to take strict control and force myself not to sing along … great song choice. Who doesn’t love Stevie Wonder? And that gggggrrrrwwl of Matt’s! Ho! Ho! Ho! I love me some Matt! I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Anoop Desai ’86 (True Colors) – 10 out of 10. Too darn cute (Go Heels!!). I have to admit once Ryan said the song choice I knew Anoop would kill it (in a good way), and he did (in a great way). And, added benny, Anoop can pronounce “rainbow”! Yummy. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Danny Gokey ’80 (Stand by Me) – 9 out of 10. The “old man” has the chops, and I love him still. “G-g-got to” love him. I haven’t heard this version in forever. We all know the early contestants can get lost in the wake of later performances, but not my Danny! That velvety voice just sooths the savage in me. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Adam Lambert ’82 (Mad World) – 9 out of 10. Now I know you may disagree with where I have Adam, but he’s getting a bit predictable to me. Don’t get me wrong, Adam hit it out of the park, but I stand by my contention that he is far too talented for this competition … he’s an AI ringer! Anyway, I was convinced there was no way this song was from 1982. I knew Tears for Fears sang it, but could have sworn it was much newer. Enter the internet. Turns out I’ve never even heard the TFF version! Doh! I know the Gary Jules set from Donnie Darko (and various television series). I knew it couldn’t have been from 1982 (even though it actually is)! Anyway, Adam did a terrific job. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Allison Iraheta ’92 (I Can’t Make You Love Me) – 8 out of 10. I love this song, and it totally suits Allison’s vocals, so it was a terrific song choice. Weird though, to have a child sing about the subject matter. I’m still not connecting with Allison on an emotional level, so her songs tend to leave me cold, but there’s no denying that talent … she’s just not one of my favorites but did very well tonight. I’ll actually buy it off iTunes (shocker!!).

Scott McIntyre ’85 (The Search is Over) – 7 out of 10. I found myself distracted, trying to remember if this was from Chicago or Air Supply … but no! It was Survivor! Man, am I old. Anyway, yes, it was a little screechy at times, but I’ve noticed that Scott generally sounds better on his recordings than he does live (or maybe it’s just my television). I like that Scotty got his “punk” on with the guitar. All in all, I figure this is what Scott sounds like singing in the shower … not bad, but not ground-breaking either.

Lil Rounds ’84 (What’s Love Got to Do With It) – 7 out of 10. Lil was stunning tonight, just beautiful. I love her hair like that. As for the performance: it started blah, but did steadily get better. I wasn’t in love with the section where it was a caricature of Tina’s strutting, but oh! Those vocals! Improvement over last week.

Kris Allen ’85 (All She Wants to Do is Dance) – 6 out of 10. I know! It breaks my heart to score Kris this low, but what an awful job! The arrangement was a horrible mess. I love horns, but they just plain did not fit this performance and simply overpowered Kris. It was not good. Let me just say that I love Kris’ accent, though, the cutie-patootie.

Although I think Kris’ was the worst performance tonight, I don’t think he’ll be voted off … I’m thinking it will be either Lil or Scott, but most likely Lil (Scott seems to have a bigger fan-base). We’ll see. I’m trying to get a chart of how they’re all doing overall, but apparently I am Excel challenged these days. Sigh.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin