Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Weekly Idol: Top 10, Grand Ole Opry Week

While nobody rocked my world tonight, a couple came close. Here’s my take on tonight’s performances:

Matt Giraud (So Small) – 10 out of 10. I don’t know the song, and the audio cut out momentarily toward the middle, but wow! I loved it! Matt’s smooth, smoky, vocals are not to be dismissed. If possible, Matt gets better every week. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Anoop Desai (Always on My Mind) – 10 out of 10. OMF Goodness!!! Lovely serenade. Anoop is baaaack! The best thing? This performance was absolutely no disrespect to Willie Nelson, and was actually almost as good, in a thoroughly different style. Beautiful. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Daney Gokey (Jesus Take the Wheel) – 9 out of 10. Man, I melt when Danny starts to sing … I am seriously incapable of an unbiased opinion where this kid is concerned … but I’d like to hear some pure upbeat frippery next week. In this case I was very pleasantly surprised because as soon as I heard his song choice I thought, "No way." But I was wrong! I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Kris Allen (To Make You Feel My Love) – 9 out of 10. See how Kris’ talent just sneaks up on you? And I totally take back my "vapid" comment from last week. If Kris keeps this up he’s going to be in it for the long haul. Woo hoo! I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Megan Joy Corkrey (I Go Walkin’ After Midnight) – 8 out of 10. Still love her quirky vocals and style, but I thought she ran into some vocal problems where she seemed strained ... then found out she’s had the freakin’ flu … sheesh! Goes to show you; the kid has chops. I just wish she’d pick a modern song to really showcase her talents. I’ll buy it off iTunes.

Michael Sarver (Ain’t Goin’ Down ‘Til the Sun Comes Up) – 8 out of 10. Really good job on a tough-paced song, great interaction with his accompianist and the audience, just a few moments where he seemed out-of-breath (well, duh!) … very good job on a boot stompin’ song. Not different enough from Garth’s version to merit buying it, though.

Adam Lambert (Ring of Fire) – 7 out of 10. Ick! Gag! I’m sticking with my assessment that Adam is in a league of his own and just toying with us for his own amusement, he is so sick with talent … but it’s still not my bag, baby. Adam totally got his alt-rock on with this rendition, but, oh! Not Johnny Cash! The man is a LEGEND, what was Adam thinking?!? Grrrr-Arrggh.

Lil Rounds (Independence Day) – 7 out of 10. Started slow but picked it up as she went along. This either wasn’t the song, or the theme, for Lil ... or maybe she’s gone and caught Megan’s flu ... because she seemed to have been holding back. Or something.

Scott McIntyre (Wild Angels) – 6 out of 10. Not his best, but that croon! The song itself doesn’t say much, nor lend itself to very imaginative interpretation with its repetitiveness, so it did nothing to showcase Scott’s emotional range, which may prove disastrous in the voting. Scott should sing something that truly speaks to him next week that will reel me back in.

Allison Iraheta (Blame it on the Heart) – 6 out of 10. Still with the kick-ass vocals. Ditto the emotion of a stump. Allison simply needs seasoning; right now she sings (exceedingly) well, but doesn’t yet “own” it (although she is picking up playing-to-the-audience skills). The difference between Allison and Scott is that I know he has the ability, but have yet to see it from her.

Alexis Grace (Jolene) – 4 out of 10. Two ho-hum weeks in a row for Alexis; this time it was the song choice. Brooke White did such a great job last season, and Dolly’s version is the absolute ultimate … Alexis just didn’t change it up enough to impress, and really didn’t utilize those superb vocals of hers until way late in the song. Too bad, really, because I like her.

Based on tonight’s performances alone, I’d say Scott, Allison, and Alexis are in trouble.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin