Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Knock-Knock. Who’s There? 2 + 2 = 4, Duh


So it’s been a week since the house has been sided (vinyl over insulation over moisture wrap) aaaaaand … a week of uninterrupted sleep! Methinks the two may be connected.


It’s been so long since I slept through the night that I’d almost forgotten what it was like. I actually had forgotten that before this house (which is wonderful) sleepless nights were few and far between. Since this house? Seven years of up-all-night. I’d convinced myself that I’m just one of those people who sleeps so lightly that I wake up in between sleep cycles; and I sleep better at Mom’s & Dad’s because it’s VACATION AIR!! SALT AIR!! NEW ENGLAND ISLAND AIR!! Seriously.

So, you wanna know what it’s like to sleep through the night?

GLORIOUS!!! That’s what!! I LOVE IT!

But then I had to think … why would siding the house make a difference? I mean, I knew it would cut down on the noise, because it’s adding to the barrier between inside and outside … but how big a difference can it be? Seriously. How much?

Turns out; a whole lot. Turns out; all the pictures aren’t supposed to rattle against the walls whenever a train goes through. Yeah, this from me, who lives within a mile of a railroad track that has ridiculously looong 150-car trains through every night, in … yeah, you guessed it … two hour intervals: 10pm, 12am, 2am, 4am, and 6am …

I never put it together.

So now, this past week, the house is sssssilent at night, with that crackling, hissing, eardrum-crushing silence only a complete lack of noise can make. Would drive me crazy if I didn’t have a SOUND OASIS, which I only have because I thought the reason I sleep so well at Mom’s & Dad’s is because I can hear the waves crashing on the beach from my bedroom there, so that’s the sound I play back here in Misery.

Didn’t work all that well, by the way … but I stuck with it; frequently changing the sound level, thinking all it would take to work was for me to get it just right.

And it did, after I changed the sound from waves to crickets, and moved it under the window … now, although the window is closed, it doesn’t take much to imagine the window open and the crickets chirping away through the night.

All week I’ve been going to bed and not waking up until the next morning … sometimes not until the alarm goes off!! Cool.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin